Monday, September 28, 2015







Choices



Background: there is elections time coming to Canada in October, we are right in the middle of election campaign. I’ve just picked up Niki from school and we are driving back home. Commercials are running on the radio.

Niki: “I would never elect that guy. Who would do that!?”

Me, trying to be in the conversation but actually not there:”What guy?”

Niki: “Trudeau. Justin Trudeau” (I realize commercial was about the liberals..)

Me, kind of shocked and really interested now (Niki is 10 year old):”Why?”

Niki:”Well, he said he will get money from reach people. The more money you have, the more money he will take from you. How stupid is this? Say for example you won the lottery, he will take basically all the money from you, you didn’t won anything basically.”

Me, can’t believe having this conversation:”Who are you going to vote for?”

Niki:” Stephen Harper. He has a plan. He wants the economy to give 300 million dollar to poor people for their needs. This is smart. I am still studying, but I will vote with him, I believe.”

Still in awe, I am learning from Niki that school will organize a vote simulator exercise, all the kids will vote for their candidates, not before studying about them and short debating their findings.

We reach home.

Niki, throwing away his backpack, grabbing Max (who is equally energized) and rushing out to the backyard:” Are you going to vote this year? “



This year, I will.



Lucian Vasiliu



Burlington, September 28, 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment